Old 03-22-2006, 02:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
StandingStrong

I'd like to say that my answer would be "C" and I'd find out some info before it ever got to the point I was even considering a relationship with said person. However, if that had not happened for some reason and I discovered it later - I honestly feel that I'd break off the relationship and not continue it any further.
While there may be some that could or would - I know that I do not want to put myself in the postion of that heartache again, that situation again, etc. I don't even believe that I'd date someone that drank on occasion. At least that is how I feel now.
While ah is the one with the drinking problem - I am the one that has a problem with drinking.
That is not to say that I don't have family members or friends that do drink, because I do. However, they respect me enough to not bring it into my home and when I'm invited out with them, they tell me upfront if there is going to be alcohol involved in anyway, therefore; giving me a choice. I don't know if I could handle being in a relationship where alcohol is involved - not only if it was already a problem, but knowing that alcoholism is progressive and could become an issue down the line, I really don't know if I'd ever be willing to subject myself to that chance again.

Reading what I just wrote, I know that many disagree with how I feel. I've even had friends and family think I'm a little overboard on the subject, and that is okay. I just know how painful it can be - and I dont want to put myself even somewhat willingly into that sort of pain again.