Old 05-29-2003, 09:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hangin' In
Southern through and through

Oooooooooooooo, cluster post by Smokes AND Anns? See, I told ya'll I was in need of SERIOUS help!...

Ok, first things first.

1. I DID NOT speak to the counselor today...only to her answering machine.... ... . Well, what's a mama to do?????? Seriously, it was short and sweet. "Please let my daughter know that I was only calling to find out about the aspects of the program ya'll offer, NOT to try and work her program. And I realize you and Dr. M are in charge, and I'm thankful for that. I don't want responsibility for any of the recovery decisions. Have a nice day. Talk to you later." (And her immediate thought to my last sentence was, "NOT if I can help it!"...lol)

2. I did talk to Mrs. Snodgrass and I don't think she had a clue as to what I was talking about. Some folks are soooooooo slow...

3. Just to give proper credit where credit is due, Mr. Hangin' In is an official, card carrying member of Al Anon, too. He doesn't miss a meeting. So when I was on the phone with Mrs. Snodgrass, he was on the phone, calling our Pastor, "Hello, Rev. Scott. Could you please come to the office quickly? It's an emergency. Hangin' In needs special spiritual counseling on how to Let Go and Let God.".... (I have a feeling it's going to take fasting and praying to get me to catch on to "Let Go and Let God" and I'm not one who likes to miss a meal. This doesn't look good...lol.)

Ok, back to the responses:

Meg, no need to apologize. I honestly don't get offended easily and had to go back to read what you wrote to see what you thought made me feel less than adequate. I wasn't feeling less than adequate, but now that you mention it...lol. Naaaaaaa, no problem, really.

Liddy, I'm with you....Phase I, Phase II. Shoot, all of this is leaving me in a phase or is that DAZE?...lol

Eyes, I would have asked questions about rehab prior to her going into treatment but, honestly, I had very little time. We had to strike while the iron was hot, as they say, and get her there while she was willing as she started hedging a couple of times. Plus her outpatient doctor was recommending this place and we trust him very much. I got as much info as I could before we had to fly out.

Smokes, so the bottom line is maybe I should play a little 'role reversal' in my head and realize that my daughter has to realize for herself the urgency of her problem. No amount of urgency on my part for her to 'get it' is going to make it happen any quicker. Am I getting this?.... She nor I got to this point overnight and neither one of us is going to get better overnight. But my timing isn't her timing and visa versa. I have to be 'okay' inside of me whether she is where I want her in her program or not. (Like how I'm thinking this through outloud? I think I'm having my own counseling session...lol)

And Anns, Mr. Hangin' would probably love that "All Us Other Poor Souls Who Have To Deal With It" board even though he is a Al Anon member in good standing. Our personalities and temperments are SO different and I just frustrate the tee whatty out of him when I'm so stressed over our daughter. He's so laid back that sometimes I just have to check to see if he has a pulse!...

Thanks guys. Again, I say...."Ya'll are the best." I honestly don't know what I'd do without the support I get here.

P.S. Is is coincidence that today's reading in Courage to Change said the philosophy of Al Anon boils down to 4 words, "Mind Your Own Business"? This maybe, just MAYBE, possibly, could be, might be my HP saying, "Hangin', don't make me hit you over the head with a 2 x 4!" I think I just heard my HP sigh deeply. Looks like I'm good at frustrating the tee whatty out of Him, too.... I'm blessed He hasn't kick me to the curb, so to speak....lol.