View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 12:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
equus

How to put the crystal ball down....

This ain't gonna come with any garauntees but it has helped me. It's easier said than done to let go of the future, to still have plans and direction in life but for them not to be based on crystal ball predictions. It's not easy to see events around me without thinking what they mean for the future, without telling myself off for thinking what they might mean for the future, without knowing I do that anyway!

But you know what? No matter how much we think we know, no matter what weight of evidence we have, whatever time we carefully give to figuring it out, whatever success we've had or not had in the past, NO MATTER WHAT we cannot tell the future. Why?

Because a new job can come out the blue and change everything, because someone you thought was dead for a decade can stand in front of you ready for a hug, because people get caught up in accidents and illnesses no-one foresaw, because people win money, because old friends half forgotten about can get in touch, because loved ones will die and often when we don't expect it, because we can prepare wrongly 20 times over thinking someone will die, because we can bump into a stranger who will end up giving us a new wisdom to live by, because we learn and change, because sometimes it snows in summer, because of all of that!!

The word 'alcoholism' can't bypass any of the above, however well thought out our predictions, however well based on recovery or progression - the word 'alcohol' or 'addiction' has absolutely no power to bypass the future being unknown.

Because a giant wave can kill hundreds of thousands of people, because millions more step in to help rebuild - life will stay being as it is, something to be valued in each moment.

Don't put plans on hold thinking first the future must be certain. Don't put living on hold and waste time trying to get that damn crystal ball to work.

It's got nothing to do with alcoholism, with or without it unexpected things happen.