Thread: What do I do?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2003, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EyesOpen
Paused

Be careful!

akapps:

There are several things about your story that concern me. One thing is the amount of beer that he drinks (1/2 case to a case), and that you used the word "overboard" in describing his drinking when in an environment where drinking is "okay".

I used to think that my husband drinking a couple or three six packs a day was nothing to be concerned about. I thought that he "just liked beer". And, when we were in social situations where drinking was okay, he'd get way more plastered than other folks. I thought that was "bad judgement".

One day, I did a calculation of just how much alcohol is in three six packs of beer. It is pretty much equivalent to a bottle of 80 proof whiskey. If your boyfriend was sucking down a bottle of whiskey day, rather than cans of beer, would you be alarmed? I know that little piece of knowledge got my attention.

One trait that indicates a problem with alcohol is the inability to stop at one or two. It seems to be biological in nature.... if the social situation won't allow for drinking large amounts, they'll find a place to go to where they can drink more.

If you say that you have a "great relationship other than this problem", then you don't have a great relationship. That's somewhat like saying that a house with a hole in the roof only leaks when it rains........

Take care of yourself!