Thread: What do I do?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2003, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
akapps

What do I do?

I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for almost a year now, and I am beginning to wonder if he has a drinking problem.
After about six months of dating, I started to realize how often he drinks, and it is pretty much on a daily basis. I also started wondering if this was also causing his financial problems too. Sometimes he may only have 1 or 2 beers, but on other days, he can easily kill 1/2 a case to 1 case in a day. At first I choked it up to immaturity & irresponsibility, but now I am beginning to think it is more than that.
The last couple of times we have been in a social environment where there is drinking, he goes so overboard, which leads to disaster for us. He always ends up embarrassing me. By the end of the night, we are both in the middle of a big fight.
After our last fight, we had a talk about his drinking again and I brought up the idea of him cutting back on his drinking, and that it should be on occasion, and not everyday. It went well for about 2 weeks and another event came up and he drank. Once again, a huge fight broke out, but he stopped in the middle of the fight and started apologizing for being such a jerk & realized it was not fair for him to pick a fight with me for no reason. So once again I have forgiven him. But with the understanding that in order for this relationship to work, he had to quit drinking.
He has also been pulled twice for drinking and one of the times he got a DUI. So I feel like he is on a road to self-destruction. I do love him with all my heart, he is my best friend and I do not want to lose him over this. But I understand that my well being comes first. We have a great relationship other than this problem. But I am doing the right thing?