View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Actually he sounds just about "normal" for where he is at in recovery time. It is OVERWHELMING when one fiirst gets off the booze. And yes the stomach and insides can physically hurt for weeks.

As far as the brain, well........that can take longer. All these mental images of all the screw ups and all the people one hurt and on and on and on come rushing to the fore, and then the emotions that one has absolutely no idea what to do with. I'm glad he has a sponsor and is going to meetings, this will help to keep him tethered in some sort of reality until the "fog" you said he has starts to lift.

That fog is also very common. One doesn't know if they are coming or going, what day it is, will they ever get through all this, how will they ever make all those amends, etc etc etc.

He may also reach a point where he feels like he is in thousands of little peices and is pulling them out of the air and trying to paste them back on himself. I went through about 2 months of that where I introduced myself at meetings as "Hi, I'm Scattered, and I'm an alcoholic." True story.

I can't speak for any other alkies, but let me tell for the first 6 months or so this alkie wasn't worth "chit." lol. I had all I could do to go to work, and go to meetings, and maybe coffee after the meetings. And my emotions were all over the place......Angry for no reason, laughing hysterically for no reason, crying,

Sounds to me like G is taking it seriously and you are doing the correct thing, yes talk about the baby and baby progress and baby probelms, and then stand back and watch him change, and grow and blossom.

JMHO

Love and (((((to all))))),