View Single Post
Old 03-04-2006, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
earlybird

Originally Posted by Sugah
I volunteered on the NA Helpline for awhile, and one night, I received a frantic call from a woman fresh out of rehab. Her adult son had put a beer in her 'fridge, "just to see if you're serious, Mom." She came very close to drinking it, then dumped it and called me. She couldn't believe he'd be so insensitive.

People without addiction issues don't understand. They often think that it's merely a matter of how committed we are to recovery. In other words, they think our addictions were the result of "no will power" or "laziness." We know that's not so, but they don't understand that. And, if they don't, how can we expect them to understand?

Have you tried talking to your husband and explaining what it's like to be powerless over your addiction to pills? That this test is making it very hard for you to remain focused on recovery?

One thing I will say...as strong as the compulsion to pick up that bottle and get started, it's nothing compared to the compulsion you will feel if you take the first one. I can battle the urges so long as I'm clean. Once I get started, I know that the nightmare will begin all over again.

You've come a long way, baby. Whatever you have to do...don't start the cycle all over again, please.

Peace & Love,
Sugah

Yes!! I totally understand this....

When I first got out of the treatment center I was in, my family thought I "had this thing licked". I told them,.."No,....if I 'had this thing licked', that would mean Im "cured" and THAT would mean I can drink like normal people do". They just didnt understand that. Soon,...the holidays came around, and they had booze in the house like always, never once asking or wondering if it would bother me. That hurt. But, I NOW understand that they DONT understand alcoholism at all. They wont go to Al-Anon because "Im the one with the problem, not them." They also think its will power and nothing more. And when we tell them its not,...they act as if Im making excuses for my addiction. My younger brother recently said this to me....."You expect everyone to give you a huge parade for doing exactly what a normal 34 year old SHOULD be doing" I told him that if I were just a lazy bum who laid around and did nothing in my parents house til I was 32 and never had a drinking problem then I can see your point. But, for someone who is addicted to alcohol and has been for 15 years, and then overcame that, and stayed sober for 2 years when I couldnt stay sober for more than 2 hours before,....then,...a parade??....no, not a parade.....just a little respect, common curtousy, and acknowledgment that I did something very brave, and difficult. I think an immediate family should give the addict atleast that.