View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
StandingStrong

Everyone's time of knowing "when to get out" is different. Our bottoms are different just as the alcoholic's is.
I'd immediately say that if you or your children are in danger - it's definately time to get out. However, it doesn't seem to sound to me that you are in physical danger. But I often think that sometimes people forget about the emotional danger.
Of course educating yourself about alcoholism and codependancy are a great step to your recovery. I'd also suggest attending Alanon meetings as they are really helpful to many people. And personally, I think it would benefit you greatly to see a counselor.

Side note - you commented about feeling guilty if you end the marriage because of your children. I am not sure how much your children are aware of the situations at your home (his drinking, etc) but in some cases it seems the children can be better off without the drama of living with an A parent. We have a forum here at SR for Children of Alcoholics - I've seen the damage done to my own children - as well as to other children I know that have been brought up in this environment. Do not feel guilty for doing something in the best interest of yourself and your children if leaving is what you feel is best. Guilt is a horrible thing - I have issues with it myself - and I can tell you that it can keep you stuck in places forever. It can hinder your growth and only make your life worse. There are some things that are yours to own - other feelings and situations that are not yours to own. Do not take the blame for everything.

Keep educating yourself - and start working on YOU!
And as was pointed out to you already - don't just listen to his words....pay attention to the actions.
While I don't know about your ah - I do know that many (as mine did as well) go through what is called the "honeymoon phase" where they try to "be good" and "do the right thing". Only time will really tell if he's serious about his recovery. Hopefully you'll get serious about your own.

Oh - and I'm curious - were the financial issues brought about when he was under the influence?
I always thought that ah made bad financial decisions when he was drinking and that was the cause of our dilemma. Found out that wasn't the case with him. He's just totally financially irresponsible - and I was the one that thought it was alcohol-induced all those years. He, too, kept me in the dark about some debts that he owed and like you, I was furious and hurt when I found out that I'd been snowed yet again. I found that with ah - his drinking and his financial issues are two different things - but both leading to the irresponsibility factor. That was our situation though.