View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 04:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
louvella

My dad was, and on my H's side, his three brothers and father have/had "addictive" personalities so all total that makes five on the paternal, one on the maternal. I've used the same argument with my girls (20 and 21) about having the genes for becoming addicted to alcohol or something else. I worry about them all the time. They''re both in college and tend to think they are "responsible" drinkers. I know better, though.

I do have a drink now and then (a glass of wine about 3 times a week) but after reading some of the posts here, I'm losing my desire for even that. I guess I have my mother's genes...she could always "take it or leave it" when it came to alcohol and then had to stop drinking anything when she was diagnosed with some health probs (unrelated to alcohol). She also quit smoking cold turkey when my oldest daughter was about 3 mos old and we found out she was allergic to so many things. I used to smoke, again, sort of that "it's a party, I'll have a cigarette" type of things. I gave it up when my bp got pretty high and realized it was stupid to take bp medicine AND smoke. I already have to fight the weight related aspects of high bp.