Old 02-08-2006, 06:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cindi R

I was fortunate enough to have the support of my mom and my kids who were 15 and 12 at the time I entered treatment. However, my spouse was not ready to give up the life...and he made that perfectly clear. My first weekend in treatment he went to a naked biker party...
I realized that it was me who had to do the work on my own and that I couldn't count on anyone else to do it for me.
My mom had my kids...but other than that she had no idea how to support me other than to tell me that she loved me unconditionally.
My kids are the reason I stayed sober...I realized that they could be taken away from me and I wasn't willing to let that happen.
My ex continued to use, although not directly in front of me for the next year, at which point I asked him to leave.
After my son and I found one of his pipes in the basement in his toolbox...I told him he must leave for the sake of the kids safety...
he'd been sleeping on the couch for 6 months by this time.
So while I had some support...I basically was meeting resistance every single day within my house for the first year and a half of my sobriety.
Because he didn't like the fact that I was going to "those meetings"...