View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
st.jude

mother of drug addict needs help please

Hi, new to this forum. Could I run something by you's and get some feedback. My son is 27 and addicted to cocaine and crack cocaine. Has been now for 3 - 4 years. He has been in recovery 4 times the last two of which he got himself thrown out. He is going downhill so fast I can't actually believe it. I don't see my son anymore. He has pawned everything he owns but still has his fricken car. He's lied and manipulated everyone around him. His dad and I are guilty of enabling him many many times. His dad is actually a recovering alcoholic for the last 18 years but he hasn't been to meetings in a long long time. We have recently separated. I know i'm going on but really there is a point to this. I have my own home now with my teen daughter. My husband is living with a family member and also my son. Family members got together and we decided that an intervention was in order. What we've decided to do is (tomorrow night) all get together, in a positive way, with my son and basically babysit him for the next 30 days. Take his car keys from him. Take him to meetings, to the gym, to where ever he needs to go. Someone will be with him at all times. The reason we decided this route was because my son has decided that he can quit drugs all on his own, get a job and turn his life around by following house rules, surrounding himself with only "positive" people and carrying a phone just in case he gets "tempted". I have heard this "plan" many times. All its accomplished is that he gets deeper into the drugs and all that goes along with that, dealing, etc. After the 30 days we want him to go into a rehab up north that has a cocaine program and has a very good reputation. That will cost money but we would find some way to get it. Everyone was on board last night with this approach. Now my husband says it won't work. That he (my son) should go get a job and try getting clean and sober by going to meetings. Which would require that he have his car. To me it's a disaster waiting to happen. It didn't work before why would it work now. I hope I've explained the situation that you can understand it. Me head is all over the place. If you could give me any feedback I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.