View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 03:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
earlybird

Originally Posted by winelover
I just got back from a meeting and lunch with one of the ladies there. I said it!! I introduced myself for the first time and although it sounds crazy, I was actually proud. Is it crazy to be proud to be an alcoholic? Or am I just proud to finally feel like I'm on my way to a better life?

I asked the woman I ate lunch with if she would be my temporary sponsor so I can start working the steps. Now I need to chronologize the events that led up to my drinking and of course how my drinking has progressed. I've begun thinking of those things lately and it's scary. It really might be frightening to put in on paper. Yikes! I guess this gives me a glimpse of how "unmanageable my life has become".
Ive always thought that its one thing to be an alcoholic,,......but its quite another to be a 'recovering' alcoholic. Recovering alcoholic means we are in a position for the first time in a looooong time (and some people,...ever!) to help others. People actually look UP to us. I wear that title like a badge. I think its great that we can turn the tables on this retched disease and have DO something FOR us. Something that it sure NEVER intended on doing for us.........give us some humility and respect. AAAH....respect....had been such a looong time since I had had that. I would have even forgotten how to SPELL it ,..if it wasnt for Aretha Franklin. GOD BLESS........