View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 12:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
BeginAgain
Day by day....

"Cooperate; never criticize. To be helpful is our only aim."

This exchange has brought me back to a time when I learned the hard lesson of putting out of my mind the wrongs of others, leaving my ego out of the equation and looking for areas where I had made mistakes. No situation is entirely one sided, but I must always try to disregard the other persons role entirely. The program as I personally know it is about asking myself where I am to blame. Taking my own inventory and not someone elses. Listing my own wrongs and facing them without finger pointing and judgement and blame.

Sure there's room for calling people on their crap and lord knows there's plenty of it spread around in the rooms of AA and NA. But the fellowship, to me is first about being welcoming and helpful - if someone is not ready or has found a different way in my own experience I must allow them to test their wings. I have certainly met many successful, happy and centered people who have had long term sobriety who have not been involved in AA or NA. My way is the NA way...but that isn't true for everyone. Open mindedness is one of the most fundamental spiritual principles.

I too have seen lots of people work a good program - myself included - and have a relapse after many years clean. I had nearly 11 years. I was welcomed back with open arms, acceptance, open mindedness, love, tolerance, kindness and understanding. Without that, I might not have made it back and had I not had that loving experience in the fellowship to begin with - I surely wouldn't have stuck around. I would have closed my mind to the possibility of having the fellowship as an option. Many don't make it to the rooms on their first try and many never do....but I hope we can always leave it as an option.

Respectfully,
Praying for peace, tolerance and understanding.