View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 04:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Pick-a-name

Originally Posted by escape artist
alcohol is an emotional growth-stunter. so maybe if there was no alcohol, they would learn how to cope sooner and better.

I agree. And the more it is used, the more the thinking is changed on a profound level. Along with those changes seems to come the unwillingness and/or inability to deal with the ordinary give-and-take in relationships (espcially the closest where there is more interaction) and the mindset of avoiding and escaping anything out of the comfort zone. Problems pile up that way; and so does frustration.

Having seen someone close (sister) go through several detoxes I can say that the difference to the ENTIRE personality is phenomonal-----could see the difference, could hear it (and this is BEFORE working any program.....that is another major change.) After she did get into recovery, we were talking and I asked her had she relapsed (between initial detox and entering IOP about 6 months later). I told her there were about three times I had the feeling something was going on,maybe a slip.......turns out that WAS correct. All family members said independently how the could tell,too......even if they could not "explain it". The thinking is askew and selfishness fires back up.
I can see it in AH in something in his eyes, hear it in a tone in his voice,etc........though he does not appear drunk,smell it, I don't see him drinking,etc. It still "does" something that alters something basic in him that colors everything he does,thinks or says. And he is a daily drinker, so it never ever has the chance to clear his system anymore........THAT difference is really different! I have known him that way,too. ("before"; he was more mature in all ways then, even though he was 20 years or more younger in age). I am told that physically it takes about a month for alcohol to totally leave your system and for those who have been drinking heavily for a long time to expect about one month for each year of drinking before you chan really expect to see a noticable change. If that is true, how can drinking NOT be the key element?

I am sure there are some people who begin at places with more personal problems who lie,cheat,steal etc...not because of the changes but in addition to them. I am just as convinced there are those who become that way because of alcoholism, JMHO.

If your mind is hijacked by a chemical, how can it NOT effect ever thought and action you make?

Interesting discussion.