View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 02:46 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by toomanychances View Post
oh and when he said he messed up friday night - I said you made a choice. You chose not to take antabuse days ago so it would be out of your system and you chose to drink. I imagine alcohol addiction is hard and I can't comprehend how hard. I have an eating addiction which is not the same I know.. but I'm medicated and it helps. So maybe if he stayed on his meds that have been prescribed he would be doing better and not still drinking. I did say - tell whoever you are with that you are going down fast because he has already lost so much and regained it - it can be lost again and this time forever - like his freedom if he gets another DUI.
I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't it sound so innocent when he says he "messed up". Right. It just doesn't matter why he drank, whether it's St Patrick's Day or his birthday or it's because he lost money on a company football pool, it's irrelevant. The result is the same, for you and for him.

Addiction is hard for people, manageable for some, unmanageable for others, but he doesn't want to quit right now anyway.

All that aside, he is delusional and that's dangerous. Please be really aware around him? If you must be around him, try to talk as little as possible and just watch him. While, from the outside, it all seems whacky and non-sensical, when he texts you:

a liar, I only think of myself, I harm the children, I'm repulsive and disgusting and I should F off
He believes it.

Now it really does sound like he is referring to himself, but in that moment, that's not clear to him. That should be scary.