View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sudz No More

Eleven years, firmly in double digits

My yearly reminder of where I've been and where I'm going is upon me once again. While life without imbibing has gotten way easier I have an almost weekly reminder of the clear and present dangers that we all still face. So much marketing and ads everywhere, huge displays in storefronts and acquaintances talking about drinking. Hearing about "Mocktails" and wondering why anyone who has struggled with addiction would want to pretend they are drinking the real thing as if that's not a recipe for disaster. I am at the point where I don't like when a seltzer bottle uses the word champagne or a coffee says whiskey. I just find no need in tempting the devil, it's like a vegan wanting fake meat. I don't get it, just eat beans and nuts to get your protein, you don't need to pretend you are eating meat. You're just in denial.

Over the years I have mentored others as I go further and I find that not too many who seemingly ask for help actually want it. You really need to want it for yourself before it's going to matter to anyone else. So here's to another year sober to you all, if you got it, you got it. Cherish it and never take it for granted, remember where you came from. For those of you still struggling, there is light at the end of that dark tunnel, just keep marching towards the light and don't give up.

Happy Sober 2024