View Single Post
Old 12-24-2023, 05:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
novips

I can relate. One thing I hope to remember whenever I'm dealing with the sort of restlessness you are describing is to stop and pray for a new perspective. Specifically, I use a version of the "set aside" prayer, which I believe can be found in the book "Drop the Rock.":

"God, please enable me to set aside everything I think I know about this situation for an open mind and a new experience. Help me to see the truth."

Then I'll typically add: "Help me to be a channel of Your peace and of service to others. Amen."

If you had said that prayer when you were getting restless with your parents, I wouldn't be surprised if your perspective would have shifted to making their visit as enjoyable as possible for them, which most likely (based on my experience and that of countless others) would have made it enjoyable for you.

On p. 62 of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous we are told that: "Selfishness - self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles." Elsewhere (p. 20), we are told that: "Our very lives, as ex-problem drinkers, depend upon our constant thought of others and how we may help meet their needs." I can take those quotes to unhealthy extremes, but I do believe there is a good bit of truth in them.

Merry Christmas Eve!