Thread: Completely Lost
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2023, 10:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TooCarin

I’m there too

LadyLavender. I am so sorry to read this, as a woman married to a functioning alcoholic for 52 years, I wish I had words of encouragement. I stumbled across this forum after googling I have “ lost all empathy” for him ( my husband), he is not physically well, he has several health problems that the alcohol abuse is multiplying . My son and I have talked to him too many times to count. He promises the world but cannot stop once he puts bourbon to his lips! He has fallen several times and I’ve had to call EMS or our son to get him up off the floor. Another episode tonight, he just didn’t end up on the floor. It’s almost 2 am and here I am still dealing with his abuse of alcohol while he’s sleeping. He is 76 years old and I’m 74. To say I’m at the end of my rope is putting it mildly. We are both college educated people, ironic and pathetic, I have a degree in counseling. Yet, I can’t help him and I can’t seem to help myself… I do know I need to save myself before it’s too late! I probably should leave him, hard to visualize what that looks like after 50+ years. It’s a sad situation, we could travel and enjoy life, yet here we are stuck in an alcoholic fog and merry go round, doing absolutely nothing together! LadyLavender, don’t wait too late to save yourself.