Old 11-18-2023, 06:14 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
fishkiller

4 years ago it was a typical Thanksgiving.
Too much food and too much booze.
So miserable.

I decided I would not drink from that Friday until Christmas Day.
Then nothing. Then New Years. Then nothing until the next holiday or birthday or whatever.
You know, moderate my alcohol consumption cause if I could make it over 3 weeks I would reset my habit and prove I could go without it if I wanted to.
Then I would be a "normal" drinker.

Ah Paradise!! Have my cake and eat it too!!

I made it until Christmas Eve. Pretty good I thought since the last time I had been anywhere near a week sober in the last 30 plus years was when I spent a week in lockup after a dui.

Well by the 15th of January I had drank probably a case of beer a day everyday since Christmas Eve. You know, the usual.

I was miserable, defeated. I failed.
I had 2 choices, keep doing what I was doing and die a miserable death like my grandfather or look for help and try again.

I pretty much had zero faith anyone could help me. I couldn't help myself so how could anyone else?

I sat down and googled and googled and eventually found a link to a sight that had nothing to do with recovery but someone had posted a few years earlier looking for help and someone had sent him a link to this site.

I joined and posted. Got a response fairly quickly and spent the next few hours drinking and posting.
I was made to feel right at home immediately.
It was like these folks were reading my mind. They knew things about me that noone else knew and they had never even met me.
And they had something I wanted and were kind enough to point me in the right direction so I could get one of my own.
A peaceful, sober life.
The next day was my Day1.

This will be my 4th sober Thanksgiving.

I wouldn't have it any other way.