Old 10-31-2023, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DriGuy

It does get quiet here. I spent a lot of time here while it was a fairly active section of the forum. AVRT resonated with me before I ever heard of it. It's simple, to the point, and not dressed up with mostly pleasant philosophy that seems irrelevant to recovery. And that "addictive voice" part caught my attention. Someone finally put a name to that thing in my head. Not sure why it needed a name, but it sure made me realize the author understood what he was talking about.

Simple, but not simple? I know what you mean, although I usually express it as simple but not easy. And as MesaMan points out, recovery is an "inside job." We can get help and information from others, but recovery is something we do inside ourselves whatever system we use. But having said that, I often feel like sobriety was not something I could do alone. I needed help from outside, but of course that means, I had to choose the right outside environment.

Looking back at my years of sobriety and realizing how much "inside" was the bulk of the process, I sometimes think I really didn't need anything outside. But of course, I didn't know then what I know now, so that's kind of one of those armchair remarks that are based on hindsight.