Old 09-18-2023, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
Hi Dee-
I think that my low self-esteem makes me feel unworthy of letting people know how I am in the first place. So I generally don’t speak about myself. I constantly ask others how they are because I’m truly and genuinely interested.

But lately I feel like I’m invisible. Even my best friend whom I love dearly and who’s been going through a difficult year just seems to be, oblivious to anything that’s really going on in my life. Maybe I should start putting more stuff out there. Like instead of addressing all of her texts maybe I should start putting myself out there saying things like “I’m getting a little anxious about my upcoming surgery” or “my dogs acupuncture appointment went well” . I don’t want to crowbar stuff and that’s not a subject of conversation because it will feel forced. But maybe it’s partly my fault.
What do you think Dee?
I was a people pleaser and conflict avoider for years, even before I started drinking.

What that meant in practice was I ‘was a good listener’ too - which is fine, unless you’re keeping quiet so as to not rock the boat or you’re feeling unworthy of sharing anything….

I think it’s very hard for others to know how I feel if I don’t tell them

It wasn’t easy to start telling people how I felt, and I was a bit heavy handed with it in the beginning, but I got better at it.
You will too

D