View Single Post
Old 09-16-2023, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ToughChoices
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Very helpful and the key to my favorite “list” tool. I found if I could simply distract myself from intense cravings even as little as 5-15 minutes they would typically pass and I would feel normal again and not want to drink. I learned by doing this to both widen and hold the space between the craving for alcohol and my response to that craving. I disarmed the automatic trigger to drink first and think later.

Making a list of several things I “had” to do before picking up was, I think, how I finally broke my last run of serial relapse. I know many of you already know from my other posts what I did, but in case you are new or having trouble beating cravings, please try as it is very effective—

My list of 5-10 things varied but most could be completed in 5–30 minutes. My “rule” was I had to do at least 3 things on the list before having a drink. If I followed this rule, I never had to even finish my 3 things before craving was over and I was “safe” from temptation once again.

Below is sample of things I have had on my list over time-adapt yours as needed for your lifestyle, work, health, and interests. I suggest some inside and some outside more active things so you can respond in bad weather, or when you are anxious, etc. with different options.

Take a walk around the block
Do 10-20 burpees or push ups inside
Do some short sprints in the grass barefoot (great for grounding and relieving anxiety)
Take a gentle walk in nature or in your neighborhood—smile when you see someone and wave
Play with your pet (if you have one) or cuddle. Shelters are nice places to visit pets to share some love.
Short drive to or through a pretty place. Local parks are so nice for this—when was the last time you went to one?

Set up a jigsaw puzzle or get a mini one and work on it for 10 minutes
Do another type of word or number puzzle you like—get a big book of them and keep it handy
Read (or listen) to a chapter of a book. I really found “Alcohol Explained” and “Alcohol: A Love Story” helpful for inspiration, but also used novels, self-help, podcasts, etc.
Write your feelings in a journal
Clean out one drawer or cabinet
Go through pantry and come up with one bag of food to donate
Prep a recipe you like and / or make a nice snack

Do a couple of yoga sequences
Meditate for 10 minutes. Guided meditations are great on App Insight Timer and it’s free
Take a nap
Take a shower or bath
Make and drink as a ritual a cup of nice tea or coffee
Eat some ice cream
Call a friend to chat for some support and contact

You get the idea—short distractions break the psychological and often physiological cycle of addiction’s intense “demand” phase—What we call here “The Beast” .

Remember, The Beast cannot drive to the liquor store, or open a bottle, or lift a drink to your lips.
Only you can do that, or not. . .

You have the power Dorthy”, as the Good Witch Glenda said. . .

Use it!
Thank you for continuing to post this helpful list, Hawkeye! It is simple and powerful and practical. You are helping others in a very concrete way by sharing these tips.