Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2023, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
advbike

You can totally do this Torie, many of us have.

At that quantity I would suggest talking to your doctor or a detox facility, as there is a risk of seizure if you quit cold turkey. They can monitor you and provide medications to ease the discomfort and prevent seizures. Do not fear it being on your records as it would be confidential and and your life is at stake here anyway. It is our alcoholic thinking that wants to put up these barriers to getting help.. Our addiction does not want us to quit!

Some people have been able to taper down before quitting, - say to one bottle.. but obviously that is very difficult for an alcoholic to do. If you want to understand why, and more about this disease, read Alcohol Explained by William Porter.

There is a lot of good news here, though. In my experience, those who drink more heavily, because of the physical addiction, tend to do better at staying quit once they get through the physical withdrawal. Because they never want to go back to it.

Those of us who drank more moderately, as an emotional coping mechanism, often keep relapsing back into it as a coping mechanism, and because we think we can handle having "a few". I am betting that once you quit, you will stay quit. And you will do it!

Please keep posting and reading here. We are here to help you.