View Single Post
Old 08-23-2023, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
trailmix

It's just sad that this is the point we got to. I'm sure he's hurting too but he won't open up at all. Just keeps going about his business, like I never existed.
It is sad and he doesn't have to face things, he's drinking. A common thread in many cases is that the partner of the alcoholic thinks that the alcoholic thinks/reacts like they do. Well, that's not, generally, the case. Alcohol affects the brain. When not drinking the world can be very flat or sad etc etc (messed up receptors). Alcohol sends a rush of feel good chemicals to the brain. He may not have any real, regular, tools to deal with sadness or even happiness or set backs or anything. Things people learn as they go through life (sober). That doesn't mean he's happier. There is no such thing as a happy alcoholic.

Alcoholism is progressive. If he continues to drink, he won't be like he is today - 6 months or a year from now.

Al Anon has a religious component, as does AA, Codependent no more also has a religious component, kind of along the lines of - God (or Higher Power) grant me the wisdom to follow a better path. Just that kind of thing. I have my own beliefs and they have theirs. I can still learn from them.