Thread: Nwecomer - UK
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2023, 04:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by Vadeekie View Post
I am ex-Forces (UK) in which drinking was considered a sport. I left around 10 years ago and find that whilst missing the forces immensely, I use alcohol as a crutch. The classic 'things are a bit ****, drink, feel guilty for drinking, things are ****, drink some more' situation.

I have made quite a successful career post Army, but through personal turmoil (failed relationship etc), I find myself leaning on alcohol more.

I work from home. I don't find my job too taxing and, at the moment, often drink in the day out of boredom, frustration about my current situation (ex still lives with me), and because I'm not in a great place.

I feel sad as I wasn't always like this. But at the moment, I'm pretty much at the bottom of a hole I can't seem to climb out of.

I'd just like someone to talk to really. I don't want to quit completely, just get it under control - weekends say - and would like someone, somewhere to reach out to when I'm feeling weak. (Which at the moment is everyday!)
welcome V.

I’m also former army (US), have spent a fair bit of time in the UK amongst Brit friends and colleagues over the years, so I’m familiar with the ingrained drink culture.

I’ve been where you are and well beyond.

I’m glad you’re here.

You’ve found a good place with good people who understand.

hang around, read old posts, ask questions, share.

there is a solution.

If any part of you wants a life of joy, of presence, of fulfillment and Love and beauty…. And are willing to do what it takes to have that, then you’re already on your way.