Old 07-12-2023, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
alexeleanor

Question Canceled Wedding - Navigating a Relationship to Help Alcoholic Partner Now

I recently called off my wedding that was happening in 3 months. My partner had been dealing with some kind of alcohol dependency/addiction for at least 3 of the 5 years we've been together. It caused a lot of rage, aggression, and verbal abuse on her part which became increasingly worse over time, culminating with her having an episode of rage hours before our wedding shower. She really left me no choice but to cancel that which lead me to the decision to cancel our wedding because it became so very clear she needs help. I have cut off communication for the time being and canceled our wedding - she has now admitted to being an alcoholic to me and her family and says that the rage and aggression were in times of intoxication, coming down from intoxication, or when she was craving alcohol. I'm very happy for her to admit that and she said she is seeking help - my question is about navigating any type of relationship at this time. I don't want to let her slip back into old habits, and I don't want to provide false hope, or be manipulated back into a relationship that isn't healthy - but I also love this person so much and would love to help them through this in a healthy way I'm just not sure if its better to let them navigate this on their own or be involved in some way.

If anyone has been through anything similar or just has any kind of advice - I'd love to hear other perspectives.