Old 04-19-2023, 09:13 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
BettyP

Laza - for me it took a LONG time, unfortunately, I don't know if that will be your experience or not, but I had such extreme anxiety that it was well over a year before I really started to be able to believe I was going to get better. It was a year and a half before I really turned a corner. When it did, though, it wasn't because I was doing anything other than just staying sober and taking care of myself - my brain just healed over time and things that were awful in early recovery got better and easier. I really struggled with forcing myself to do things because I was afraid if I didn't that I would lose independence and become a permanent shut-in -- try to remember that your anxiety is physical, not situational - there are things you can do to lower your anxiety somewhat, but ultimately the call is coming from inside the house and your brain is working on its own timeline, so don't beat yourself up for feeling like you can't do a lot of the things you normally like and enjoy. It's not forever. The part of your brain where fear works takes a long time to heal, but it's not permanent. It certainly FEELS permanent, but just do your best to get through it and don't pick up a drink. 100 days is tough - I think AA gives out a 9 month chip for a reason, it's usually a difficult time, and you don't have to put a brave face on it because you're doing an incredibly hard thing!