Old 04-13-2023, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

Thanks, Mags. I'm in.

I remember being so afraid to quit drinking, because my whole social life was centered around booze. I was SURE my life would be sad, lonely, and boring without it. I also wasn't sure how I was supposed to relax and unwind after a stressful day, or get myself relaxed before a stress-inducing event (party, plane trip, family gathering). I used alcohol as an aid to overcoming my insecurities and fears. And I really believed it worked. I was so scared to go without my crutch. And yes, in early sobriety, things were bleak. Life seemed overwhelming, I felt so lost and alone, I wasn't sure I could do it. I was in IOP, though, and going to AA, so I KNEW there was life beyond booze. I just needed to keep going, and not quit before the miracles started to happen. And they did start to happen. I'd never go back to that life of using alcohol to help me get through life. That was an illusion, anyway. I get through life SO MUCH BETTER now. Not sure I'd say I'm happy, exactly, but I'm definitely much more content, and I can relax and enjoy life a lot more. I still don't like my job, LOL, but the rest of life is pretty good!