View Single Post
Old 04-05-2023, 07:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Cartman

Thumbs up Expat Havens

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
^ I lived in Thailand for year over twenty years ago. I wasn’t quite dependent on alcohol then, but I was a daily drinker. I remember there was a government election, and it was decreed than alcohol sales would stop for that day. The expat community were all asking what to do and where to go on that day for their booze. I’ve toyed with the idea of retiring to Thailand, but I’m not being judgemental in saying it attracts a certain class of expat who are never far from alcohol.
No judgment at all...spent a lot of time in Thailand, Cambodia and Philippines. Beautiful countries with wonderful people...BUT even the US State Department (as well as foreign departments of other countries) have openly written about a certain (...and substantial) draw of expats who seek a very low cost lifestyle of behaviors that are less than tolerated in the west and some behaviors that are abhorrent. In Cambodia (use the dollar) everything was $1...including large 32oz beer (*****,******). The hard working local population would be out on mopeds 24/7 with ice cold beer offering to every visitor they saw. The expats bragged they knew where to get it for $.50cents. Mekong spirits also popular at $4 a bottle. Sadly, the introduction of investment into the remote areas has introduced large quantity production of rice wine...it has become a scourge for the impoverished population.

Last edited by Dee74; 04-07-2023 at 09:35 PM. Reason: see thread