View Single Post
Old 04-05-2023, 04:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Cartman

Ah yes....the early morning run. Different rules for buying/serving time all over the world and different times in each US state and within each US state (by county)...this was something studied more than the local language, exchange rate and custom. No matter the situation...we search for "the stuff". There's another chain in the UK...except it is a chain of small take-away convenience stores with the initial LW. They open at 0700 and I was always amazed that one could enter and buy a 350ml of vodka at the counter (not allowed at the auto checkout) with no one batting an eye. Here is a shop in the middle of a very high rent district near the Thames, in the middle of the week, everyone in their bespoke suits and college uniforms buying sticky buns and lunch and a bloke in a suit buys TWO bottles of vodka, conceals them in the side pockets of his backpack, pays with a card and departs in a unremarkable way. This in stark contrast to countries like Thailand where there are NO alcohol sales allowed until 11AM. UK is not alone, one can easily do the same in Tokyo...with even less eye contact and nothing but exceptional customer service at the counter -- all in Japanese. At least one UK hotel chain has installed a 24/7 vending machine (near the elevators) that sells wine and spirits (at robbery prices)...I've got to conclude they know how strong the craving can be...and they look to make a fast pound from it. I walk by these places now...opting for any other establishment that does not sell alcohol...I end up at some rather sketchy places where the less fortunate have occupied the seats rather than be on the streets...it reinforces my will. But for the grace of God go I. I think they should mount mirrors near alcohol displays....right at eye level....so the demon in our head will be less effective in the temptation.