Thread: Normies or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BrianinLondon

Originally Posted by ManInTheArena View Post
I don't go to A.A., so I'm really not familiar with their official stance on this topic. I do think that anyone can develop an alcohol dependence problem if they drink enough over a long enough period of time. It's an addictive substance - eventually it will catch up to you. I think that pace at which that happens can vary tremendously (and may even have some genetic properties), and some people can effectively be moderate drinkers their whole life.

I'm not sure if this is what you were contemplating, or if I'm misunderstanding your post. Regardless, hope you are having a good day!
Yes I think the big variable is how quickly it happens and genetic makeup I'd have to guess plays a part. I go to AA and love it but am of the same view as the OP about this being a false dichotomy. I would say that it's probably not that harmful in the grand scheme of things as anyone who gets around to actually reading the big book is probably well on the way to accepting they have a serious problem. I don't like to think of myself as different to anyone - although to the extent that I am "different", I do think that my ego is more active than many others and it can lead to undesirable behaviours or feeling the world is against me. It helps me to know that sometimes when I am really really addled, bothered, angry, upset that it is usually my ego doing a number on me, trying to protect me against a perceived threat that is greatly exaggerated in my mind - I can take a step back and forgive myself for the state I'm in and try not to compound things by doing or saying impulsive things by lashing out. But sorry, I am digressing here...