View Single Post
Old 02-25-2023, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
trailmix

hi Marie. Well, that's quite a mess he created.

I'm sure you have heard this from friends and family - but you are so very much better off without him in your life.

As you said, you hoped he would get in to recovery and maybe you two would have a chance at a somewhat "normal" life together. Well, that's not to be. There is nothing to say he is even clean now, his behaviour is secretive and erratic, he really hasn't changed.

There is getting "sober" (if he actually is) and there is recovery, where the person works on their issues and what landed them in addiction etc in the first place. So even if he is clean, he's certainly not making improvements on himself.

It's really important to always accept people as they are, not as we would hope they would be. You can't change people - they have to want to change.

He's abused you, put you in harms way, now betrayed you, he is no "catch".

There is a book very often recommended here, Codependent no more, by Melody Beattie. I would really encourage you to get it. It talks a lot about boundaries in all relationships and you might find it really helpful moving forward.

My advice, leave him. He's off on whatever next thing he is up to and do you really want to be part of that rollercoaster ride again?