View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 04:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DriGuy

When a need to stop drinking arises is when you realize to the fullest the depth of your addiction. Keep in mind that this thing you are fighting doesn't last long. In a week or two the need for alcohol will abate to the point where you won't have to rely on will power alone. Then you have to fall back on good judgement, and for most of us that's easier, because we all know what what we need to do.

But first get a few things straight. Two weeks of sobriety, broken by one relapse in the middle is only one week. You need to embrace that you are stopping for good. If your "light at the end of the tunnel" is that you will someday be able to drink again, it makes it much harder to quit, because recovery requires a full commitment, and you have to stop messing with alcohol. At least that made a big difference for me. Once I realized I wasn't going to be seeing how long I could go without drinking, but embraced a full stop, things got easier.

There was no easy way for me to quit. Recovery isn't easy until you embrace recovery as a permanent lifestyle. Then it gets easy. After the baby is born, you're going to want to remain sober anyway.