Thread: I was diagnosed
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2023, 01:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
advbike

I have adult ADHD also, AJ, the inattentive type - only recently diagnosed. I have carried so much guilt and shame over the years, just like Dropsie said, over all the failures to complete things, wasted opportunities, huge procrastination, impulsivity, etc. I have developed techniques to cope over the years that help.. and I will also add that in some respects it can serve us well and I had a few lucrative careers in my life, so there is a certain creativity and focus that can come from it when we latch onto something we really enjoy. That part is key.

But the recent discovery of it, and subsequent awareness THAT THERE IS A CAUSE has been a godsend in relieving so much of the guilt and shame. Like you, I drank to self-medicate and ease the constant shame and frustration, not to get drunk. Never really liked getting drunk but liked my nightly drinks.

Anyway, no meds for me personally - but I do find aerobic exercise and structure helps, plus breaking everything into small tasks, and lots of electronic reminders. Getting some things done daily really helps me, even if they are small things.

And.. enjoy life. You may also have a strong awareness of and appreciation for the beauty in nature. I find most of my peace and spirituality there.