View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 05:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
novips

I could not stay sober till I fully committed to the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous, and I have come to conclude that there is a type of alcoholic for whom A.A. is the only solution. I don't know whether you are an alcoholic or, if you are, whether you are the type (like me) who can only stay sober via A.A. -- but I encourage you to keep an open mind about the possibility that you may be both. If you are an alcoholic of the hopeless variety that I'm describing (again, like me) then my experience suggests you'll end up drinking even if you're on Antabuse (I've never used it myself, but I've heard testimony from enough real alcoholics to reach that conclusion). If you can, I'd suggest the following: (1) Get to as many A.A. meetings as you can before shipping out, (2) get a clean copy of the Big Book and read at least the first 164 pages (the rest of the book is primarily personal stories that can serve as mini meetings while you are at sea), and (3) get some A.A. members' contact info so you can call / email / etc. from the boat when you are able. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about any of that.