Thread: Sleep issues
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 04:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AJ143143

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post
Insomnia was the catalyst for my addiction. It's a big deal when you can't sleep!

I didn't realize how much WORSE I was making the insomnia/anxiety by drinking or using to make it go away. Now I move A LOT during the day, cut off all caffeine after 12pm, and do a mixture of prayer/meditation before bed (The New York Times has some free meditation exercises currently posted online. You can do anywhere from 1 minute up to 15 minutes). This has worked for me.

In sobriety, I typically fall asleep around 9:30pm and wake up around 5 or 5:30am. There are, of course, exceptions, but I am definitely a naturally early riser now. If I don't get to bed on time, I still wake up early, so that has required some adjustment in my schedule. I try very hard to avoid frustration when I do have an unexpected bout of sleep difficulty - I pray that I can view the extra time as a gift from my HP. It doesn't always feel that way.

If you have tried all of the conventional wisdom approaches, a sleep study is likely warranted. Perhaps that would give you some insight or reassurance or a path to adaptation and acceptance?

Good luck!
-TC
thank you. Yes I agree not sleeping is a huge deal. People without insomnia in my life have a hard time understanding why I just can’t sleep. Eyeroll. Ya I’ve been battling this for 2 decades. I am ready to get some answers