View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 04:27 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
ToughChoices
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Day 4

Maybe it’s not productive to count days if this is a forever WOL choice? I’ve always done it though.

Anyway - Still here

JT
I'm just going to share my (very personal) opinion on day counting:

It's different for different people, Tony. I counted my first 9 months and found it gratifying to see the time advancing, but once I FINALLY woke up to the reality of my addiction and my desire for an authentic life, the count didn't make sense for me anymore.

I'm going to live everyday as gratefully and in touch with my HP as I can. I'm going to accomplish wonders because of this attitude. Those wonders will inspire more gratitude.

I'm not slogging through a mess and counting out how long I've be in it (def not saying that everyone counting days thinks of it like this, but I certainly did). When I thought of recovery as "giving up what I desire", I was proud of everyday. When I began to think of recovery as "giving up ACTUAL poison so that I can live a rich, blessed life", it just seemed like a "well, of course" moment.

Someone once shared here, "Alcohol holds nothing for me. I don't desire it. I don't kick my dog, and I don't drink. I don't count the days since I kicked my dog."

So, I don't count the days since my last drink/drug, but I do recognize the day that my deliverance from suffering occurred. I recognize when the scales fell from my eyes, and I saw the TRUTH of my condition. For me, that was nothing short of miraculous, and it is a day that I mark on the calendar for annual celebration. I understand celebrating such milestones, and I think that, in the beginning, some folks find joy and pride in celebrating smaller milestones. That is awesome, too.

Think on it. You do whatever works for you, Tony!

Take care!
-TC