View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 03:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mavericks

Originally Posted by JohnToon View Post
I quit once before. Roughly 7 years ago after I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease. Lasted 2 months, went on a stag do, started again and here I am. Feels different this time though, feels more definitive. Like a switch has been flicked in my brain. I've been surprised at how much the withdrawal has affected me - especially the bad anxiety periods. However, I think the severity of the withdrawal is what pushed me to making a permanent change.

Been ok over Christmas, got through a few difficult conversations about why I'm not drinking. Weirdly, my cravings have stepped up a gear after new year! Sure that will pass soon.
I've been fortunate with the anxiety this time around. It used to be so bad fot me when I was heavy drinking. I was literally carried off the street into a restaurant in the middle of a city once during an anxiety attack. Had no idea what was going on. For people that have never suffered anxiety, it can be hell.

Well done for getting through Christmas. I didn't get questioned too much this year. Strangely enough my brother had quit the drink over Christmas too so that took some attention off of me.