Thread: Three Years
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Surrendered19

Three Years

Three years ago today I put the bottle down forever. I still feel new at it. One of the reasons it still feels so new is that even three years in, I marvel at the calm and simplicity of a sober life. The still and quiet mind makes so much possible.

Life still throws its curves and bumps at me - just like all of us - but sober I can see things coming much further down the road and I can sit with emotions and bad feelings and deal with them as they pass on through. One of the very best gifts of sobriety is the certainty that anger, sadness, grief - all of the emotions that are hardwired in our brains and exist to keep us alive - are of a temporary nature if we are otherwise healthy. This too shall pass.

RS was a pillar of my recovery and I could never thank everyone on SR who helped me so selflessly and compassionately. I've said it before but all of you are an embarrassment of riches that I will always feel deeply grateful for SR and what it did for me, what you all did for me.

Dee and Anna, all the mods, Steely, and so, so many others - you saved my life.

For everyone trying and struggling, you are on my mind every single day, and please please never quit trying to quit. You are worthy of a quiet peaceful life. You deserve that.