Old 10-23-2022, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Surlyredhead
Life is Grand

I can only speak for myself here.

A very wise person in recovery (and my counselor for a while) told me that each sober anniversary, whether realized or not, I might feel out of sorts. It may be subtle, or it might be obvious, and he was right. There have been years when I was out of sorts a bit, then I look at the date and right on time, it is close to an Anniversary. These feeling are not necessarily bad; I liken them to thinking " It is a full moon or what!?! " However, without fail, I have always gotten choked up with gratitude. I can't really even talk about it without my eye welling up. I still can't believe that I made it this far, I suppose that I would be considered an "Old Timer" now (28 1/2 years), but it still feels fresh in my memory, that first year anniversary was by far the hardest and the most exciting at the same time. As alcoholics, we are so used to failing, our mind and this disease try to fool us into believing a few things, 1) That we are failures and will not succeed and 2) Just one will not hurt. Both couldn't be farther from the truth. Please tell your Husband that what he is feeling is not unusual as he is reaching a most awesome milestone, and that after the anniversary gets here and passes, he might just find the urges pass too. Awareness of what is going on is so important. It is not the first drink that will take that clean time from one year to one day, but the first sip. It is not worth it, and you are both worth sobriety and all it has to offer.

Congratulations on your Anniversary, you are both Rockstars!!

Cathy