View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lautca
Sober since October 24, 1997

Hi, HonestlyTrying. Perhaps you may be having a form of Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, also known as PAWS for short? PAWS can take many forms, where no apparent cause can be found other than consuming alcohol on a regular basis for "a long enough time". "A long enough time" is pretty vague, I drank for probably 25 years and quit about 25 years ago without having any PAWS problems, while others who did what I did most certainly do have PAWS problems.

Take a look at the thread "For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad"? Go to the very beginning of that thread on 5-11-2016, where the author ttamelbon has a list of his symptoms, which is followed by the lists of symptoms that others have had, or are still having.

It may be helpful if you could add a bit more detail about your experience with alcohol, such as how long you were drinking, how much, what forms of alcohol you used (such as straight vodka, or strictly 3.2% alcohol beer) and how long ago your last drink was. The reason for asking about what you drank is because the higher the alcohol content per drink, the greater the potential for causing nerve damage, as well as all kinds of other problems.

The body initially handles alcohol by the liver converting it to acetaldehyde, which is a toxic chemical that damages nerves and other parts of the body. When someone has been drinking alcohol, it is acetaldehyde that is most noticeably smelled on the breath, not ethanol, and it is both acetaldehyde and ethanol together that are responsible for the intoxicating effects of having consumed alcohol beverages, not the ethanol alone. It is acetaldehyde that is responsible for painful hangovers, which is how the prescription drug disulfiram (also called Antabuse) works, by causing a buildup of toxic acetaldehyde in the body.

I hope someone here can come up with something that will help with what is happening to you. Good Luck!

Lautca