Old 09-14-2022, 11:37 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
SouthernSober

Thanks, Free, VC. Just gonna say went to my favorite and safest meeting last night and it helped big time. Not gonna get into particulars, but the individual in question has a reputation so toxic everyone knew whom I was talking about. This is in a town 15 miles away, BTW. There are people with 25-30 years sober that switched meetings because of that individual.

"Take what you need, leave the rest" is probably good advice for everybody in any recovery modality. And I am skeptical of pure orthodoxy in any form. They say that "wine makes a great servant, but a terrible master"--true, but that's also true of AA. Putting anybody, or anything, on a pedestal, is a dangerous expectation, and as AA itself says, an expectation is just a resentment waiting to happen. And if part of the purpose of a HP is understanding that HP is not you, it is axiomatic that it's not any other fallible human being, either.

Great opportunity to reiterate, and be grateful for, SR is a 24/7/365 safe and welcome environment. I never hesitate to come here or share, and that is indeed unique.