Thread: How to adult?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
trailmix

Hi Kay. It's interesting that you touch on cleaning in particular because I've noticed that people are so different in their approaches.

For me, I am tidy. I clean up after myself (generally) right away, like if I cook/bake I clean as I go. Leaving things (which I know people who do) will totally overwhelm most people, maybe that's how you feel?

I'm not a list person, I don't clean the bath on Monday and do laundry on Tuesday etc etc, I clean things as I like to when I want to. That might not work for you, maybe you need a list?

To get started, you may want to enlist some help, a cleaning service. Let them do the bulk of the work, it will be money well spent.

Then find what you are comfortable with. Does that mean cleaning for 4 hours on Monday only? Or putting half an hour (or less if you tidy as you go) in each day. Write a list of tasks that must be done weekly - like the bath and vacuuming, laundry, dusting etc etc, ensure these get done. But the most important tip, don't let things slide, clean as you go. Walking by the hall table and it's dusty? Get a cloth and do that now.

I also keep things handy. I have a small bucket with all my cleaning supplies. I use foaming cleaner for mirrors and glass. Vim for the bathroom. I have a dish brush I use for the bath and sink. I have paper towel available on every level of the house, I can clean anything with that.

I clean the stove every time I use it. Takes less than 5 minutes. Get good tools, good cleaners and you are half way there.

I hope this helps!