View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 09:12 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Mags1
Magsie

Bob, hope the foot slap goes. Have the docs given you exercises to continue with. Mr. Mags had sciatica a while back, not half as bad as yours, but very painful though and he was given exercises to do. I can’t remember them but I think they were mainly stretches.

PJ, sorry it’s no contact with your sons. Hopefully you’re still texting/emailing each other now and again. Things may change with time. Keep your recovery strong my friend.

I grew up with an alcoholic father. He was lovely when sober but we didn’t see that side much. He was either at work or going to the pub. I despised his drunken side which ended up me despising him full stop. In his later years he didn’t drink so much. I wasn’t so angsty with him, maybe because I’d found alcohol as my friend, or so I blindly thought. Though I did become friends with him in his later years.

Anyway other day as I’m sorting through boxes from the attic (did I say we’re moving homes in a few weeks, hopefully) and came across some old photos. One was of my dad, sober and smiling in the garden and with his unruly curly hair. My heart lifted. That’s how I want to remember my dad. (He died 13 years ago) he was a good man sober.

It’s took years for me to understand my dad and when I actually became an alcoholic and then got sober, I now understand him more. And I can forget the bad times. I’m getting the photo enlarged and going to frame it to hang up in my new house. That’s who my dad really was….the alcohol took him away most of the time but I know he had a good heart underneath.

I think the only people who truly know what an addict /alcoholic goes through are people who have experienced themselves and come out the other side. Hence that’s why I love SR so much. You’re all here like myself, supporting each other and adding bits of our lives in too.

Love and hugs to all my Classmates xxxx