Old 07-24-2022, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
evien285

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
evien.......welcome to the forum!

I can eompletely understand how awful it feels for you to be in that kind of environment, in your home. In fact, it has got to be very wearing on your mental health.

You are at such a pivotal age---time in your life---and you do not deserve to be subjected to the kind of damage that living in the home with alcoholism can do to a person.

Even though I can see that you care, very much------here is a fact of life that you are going to need to understand----
You have no control over your parents and the choices that THEY make. You only have choices over the ones that you make.
In these parts, we say, about your parents' alcoholism---
The 3 Cs----
You didn't Cause it; you can't Control it; and, you can't Cure it. You need to even stop trying (for your own good).

I am going to give you some very straightforward suggestions----as I would give any young person of your age, in your circumstnces.
1. I believe that it is time that you not be livifng in your parent's home at all, as your home base. When not during the term at University---you need notto be living in your poarent's hme. It is damaging to you and it doesn't help them at all! You need to become independ of them.
2. You need some more support, for yourself. That is going to become essential for you, right now. I suggest that you jpin the group--"Adult Children of Alcoholics". You can get in touch with that group by doing a google search. You can, slso, join a group that they have on facebook.
At least---get their "Big Book" and their other literature ---and read it. Study it. You can get this material on amazon.com, in the book section. Just type in---"Adult Children of Alsoholics"
The people in this group have all walked in your same shoes, with alcoholic parents!
3. Seek a counselor through the student services at the University. They can offer you support, also.

I am, also, going to give you the following advice that I give to any young woman of your age. This is a very vulnerable and pivotal time in your life----and decisions made, at this time, can, potentially have effects on your future life.
Avoid---avoid---becoming dependent on your boyfriend for your sense of security. An, it goes without saying---avoid pregnancy at all costs.
Make your top priority to get your education and gain the tools for your future independence and caring for your own mental health.
This should be one of the best and most adventurous time of your life---you need to be free to enjoy it without the burden of responsibilities of others. There will be enough time for all of that, in the coming years...lol....
thank you. i will look further into support groups for people in my situation as i agree not to put a lot of the burden on my boyfriend/friends, especially since they can only support from a distance not having the same home experience as me. the only ‘good’ thing about having alcoholic parents is i have matured quite quickly and i am headstrong about my studies, and know things like pregnancy is not what i want. thank you for your insight! it’s very easy to think you’re older than you are, especially when you are faced with adult problems like alcoholism. anyway i’m feeling stronger, i have a plan to move out next week and go back to my university accommodation as soon as possible. i can only hope my parents find the strength to stop drinking again.