View Single Post
Old 06-22-2022, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jim1958

Originally Posted by Hereigoagain23 View Post
Yet another day 1. I’ve had hundreds. I get a week or two under my belt, start to feel good and then go back to drinking. Feeling pretty hopeless today, full of regret and anxiety. I just don’t know what to do, I’ve tried everything.

I like to think of myself as reasonably intelligent but what I’m doing is just so stupid. I feel so much better when I don’t drink, I have hope, my anxiety disappears etc so why do I keep going back to it. It just doesn’t make sense 🥲
Don't give up. I had lots of day one's. I don't know when I started, but I keep a calendar. I would string together 5 or 6 days, and relapse. I did this often. Then I made it 30 days! And of course relapsed. But I kept trying. You should too. There are tons of people that never thought they could quit, but did. Don't give up! You can do it. I am closing in on 4 years and it does get better. What worked? Well, for me one on one counseling was a huge help. If you don't want to do AA, then find an addiction counselor. And substitute something positive, like exercise, instead of drinking. Best wishes on your recovery.