Old 06-16-2022, 06:56 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Bodhi02

CP and LHW, sorry to hear you are struggling. I’m also riding a struggle wave. We’re going to Cape May this weekend and vacations have been a high risk time for me to relapse. Actually the last two times I drank in the last 16 months (feb 2021 was when I truly came to terms with being sober and made a real go of it) were both on a vacation where I was away from my routines and tools.

what really helped me was to connect with others going through the same thing and keeping myself busy during my “witching hours” which was 4pm - 7pm. To connect I came here and went to AA online meetings. After a few weeks going to AA, I came across Recovery Dharma online which is Buddhist based recovery. I really love the Dharma Recovery meetings there’s usually a reading. A meditation, and shares. I tried out a bunch of different meetings until I found a few that resonated with me. For the keep me busy during 4-7, I tried out different fitness classes until I found some I really liked and I still go to today. I have a therapist I see weekly. I also went to acupuncture and a chiropractor. Everyday after work I had something on my schedule even if it was walking the dog some place new or going to a meeting. I went to grad school too.

Boy typing that all out I just realized dang I did a lot lol. Now that the cravings aren’t so loud (they’re more sneaky these days) I’ve paired down the witching hour activities, but I still do a lot after work. I don’t think about it as keep me busy so I don’t drink anymore it’s evolved into me getting the most out of life and feeling fulfilled. It takes a lot of time, urge surfing, and meditation helped me a lot.

Thank you both for sharing how you’re feeling. It’s reminded me to sharpen my toolkit. I haven’t been to a recovery dharma meeting in about 3 weeks. I’m definitely going to join one this weekend.