Old 06-12-2022, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
timj120

The whole "it's not that bad" is a lie we tell ourselves in an effort to not do anything. We lie, just like the addict lies. There is always someone worse, so it'll never be "that bad" until it becomes "that bad" for us. I guess we all have a point or a circumstance that it does become "that bad", and it's different for all of us.

But think about it this way...by you even articulating out loud that "it's not that bad" you are admitting that "it's bad". Then it becomes what level of "bad" are we willing to tolerate, accept, live with? That's on us, that's what we can control, that's what we get to/have to decide.

Then the question we need to ask ourselves, is this what we want, is this the life we envision for ourselves in the future? Understanding that without professional help, it only gets worse, not better.

I really hate the whole "it's not that bad" thinking and I constantly use that line of reasoning so I'm not judging you in any way. But it's not healthy, and it only serves as an obstacle to taking action. Take time to reflect on what it is you want, what it is you are able to accept. You need to be really honest with yourself because once you decide what you will accept, you actually have to accept it, be okay with that which is the hard part. It's easy to say "I'm fine with this..." but it's not easy to actually "be fine with this..."