View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
suki44883
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, Rosie. I am so sorry to hear of your struggle. You will find massive support here for you.

While it's good he called and asked for help, it is really up to him whether or not to follow through. I understand your eagerness to help him because he is your son and you love him. You say you have gathered a lot of information for him, which I'm sure makes you feel like you are at least doing something. Unfortunately, about all you can do after passing that information on to him, is wait to see what he does with it.

As far as people telling you that AA/NA doesn't work...they are wrong. Both AA and NA have helped millions of addicts turn their lives around. The caveat is that the addict has to be willing to do whatever is necessary to help themselves. Yes, sometimes that requires rehab, but rehab isn't a magic pill. It too requires that the addict be willing to do whatever is necessary to help themselves. There are addicts that have been to multiple rehabs, but return to drinking/using once they are out. What it all boils down to is that the addict themself has to want recovery more than anything. No program is going to help someone if they don't truly want to stay clean and sober.

Again, welcome to SR. I hope you will read around the forums. You will find that you are not alone. We have a wonderful Friends and Family forum you might find especially helpful.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/

You and your husband also might want to check out Alanon for yourselves. There you will find family members of addicts/alcoholics who are learning how to deal with addiction.