View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
firecricket

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
First of all, I'm really glad to hear you and the kids are thriving out from under this. That's the good part!
Thank you. They are like totally different people lately. For years my son would come home from school and go to his room and close the door. Come out at dinner, grab a plate and go eat in his room alone. I just always thought maybe that's just how teenage boys are. But now he is out of his room, he hangs out in the other rooms of the house, he talks to me, he's being an amazing big brother to a sister I could have sworn he hated with a passion. That alone makes me so happy, that they have a relationship now- where he used to say he didn't like her and couldn't stand her now he tells her he loves her.

There is no more pouting from the other kids, no more whining. They're not being snapped at any more for being "too loud" or asking too many questions or asking to do things. They used to come to me for affection and he would tell them to go play, like they weren't allowed to just want a hug or something. But now when they come to me for hugs I can just hug them and not worry that we are annoying someone, and they aren't being told to go away.

I feel like I have a lot to make up for with my kids. Just looking back... especially at the coming for hugs randomly thing and him getting annoyed and I would give him dirty looks but I never said anything- just trying to keep the peace. Now I've just been constantly hugging and loving on my kids. I want desperately to make up for my mistakes.